It’s summertime! Oh how I love Summer. When I was younger Summer was my least favorite season. When I was in middle school through high school I would have to help my parents in the yard on summer weekends. It was always so hot and so miserable. We would have to pick up sticks on their 5 acres, burn leaves and work around the yard. I hated it. I used to beat my sister for volunteering to stay inside to clean the house. I would much rather have cleaned the entire house and made lunch for everyone than having to sweat outside picking up sticks. As I’ve gotten older and the yard we have is much, much smaller I don’t mind summer yard work nearly as much. Now don’t get me wrong I would much rather be having fun on a hot Saturday morning, but I’ll take a hot summer day over n ice-filled winter one.
Now that I’m older and have a family of my own I like to save those hot days for finding free and fun stuff to do. I’m bringing you my complete list of free activities you can do with your family this summer. You may have to be a little creative, but you and your kids can have a blast checking these items off. In case you missed it, not too long ago I created a list of free activities to do during the fall, but I figured it was time for a season update. Plus it goes perfect with our spending freeze we’re currently doing.
I love finding fun things to do as a family especially when they are free!
Here you are – a complete list of free summer activities for your family:
- go swimming – around here most public pools are free or you could always befriend someone with a killer backyard pool!
- go to the zoo – we’re lucky because the St. Louis Zoo doesn’t charge for admission and if you get there early enough then parking is free too!
- head outside for a picnic
- scavenger hunt in the backyard
- sprinkler fun!
- have a game day where you play board games inside
- go to the local park
- checkout an outdoor movie
- museum free days
- explore the public library
- host a summer reading challenge
You can print off a PDF of the summer activities, too.