Is it bad luck to start off a post with words like “I hate”? Perhaps. I mean, hate is a very strong word and I was always taught to never say it unless you could live without that person/event/situation/shirt for the rest of your life. Let’s just say if Halloween disappeared off a calendar I would be none the wiser. Halloween has never been a favorite holiday. Christmas, now that’s a holiday I can get behind and get fired up about. Halloween is one that I would prefer to keep my front porch light off and go to bed early.
My top 8 reasons why Halloween can just fade away:
1) masks, face paint, wigs… Basically, I have a paralyzing fear of all things that disguise one’s appearance. Last time I checked that was a main part of Halloween.
2) excuses that I can tell myself to gorge on candy
3) scary movies that seem to be on every TV station for the month
4) obnoxious downtown bar scenes that have too many people and too long of lines to get drinks
5) random strangers knocking on my door until late. Mostly kids, but you never know who is knocking on that door and when I lived alone I prefered not to know
6) crazy animatronic creatures that go off at the grocery store causing me to scream, jump and then drop everything in my hands
7) oddly shaped food. Who wants to head a pretzel that looks like a finger with a nail? I don’t! I made them for a party once and absolutely could not force one down – my imagination was running too wild, and I’m the one that made them!
8) having to come up with a costume each year. Since I do not like masks, face paint, or wigs it’s hard to come up with a costume for the years I do go out. I think I have been a hippie every since high school. Once my friends and I went as Captain Planet and the Planeteers, that was pretty fun
I might be a bit cynical, but I am okay with that. Now if only I could hold my breath long enough for Halloween to be over and Thanksgiving to be on its way.