I am always drawn to articles, books, and readings about simplifying my life. I run around all day like a chicken with its head cut off. I’ve always hated that saying because I literally imagine a cartoon type chicken running around without a head in the middle of the desert. Why the desert you might ask? I have no idea, perhaps too many episodes of Bugs Bunny and the Road Runner as a kid. Anyway back to what I was saying. An article that promises to calm my life with just a few simple steps is like a magnet to my A-type personality.
I have learned through college, working, and then family life a few tricks that always work for me. Now that I’m getting older I have found that these tricks are even listed on most of those fancy-shmancy articles. I’d like to think I’m that smart, but it’s probably because I’ve read so many of them.
Here we go my top 5 tips to simplify your life and enjoy your life more:
1) Prioritize – sounds simple right? You need to pick 1-3 tasks per day to complete each day. Spend a few minutes each morning or when you arrive at your desk to think about your whole day and what all needs be accomplished. Highlight 1-3 tasks depending on the time you have and the time you assume each one will take.
I keep a running to-do list of items at work, for my Etsy shop, for the home, and for this little blog. I then pick 1-3 things that I need to do. Usually the days I work I pick 1-3 to do the 8 hours I’m there and then maybe only 1 to do from home, Etsy or blog for when my work day ends. I’m not saying pick a hobby task over your actual job – you gotta make that money, honey.
2) Pick What Makes You Happy – it is super easy to get swallowed whole by work; try not to let that happen. Select 1-2 things each day that make you happy and fulfilled.
A few months ago I switched up my job to work at a local retailer. Most days I would not get home until 9:30 and I realized that I missed having dinner with J. Now I make it a point to have dinner with J every night. Also, I chose Crossfit. I’m new at it, it will always be challenging, but I am absolutely enthralled by it.
3) Block Out Distractions – get your environment ready to crank out your top priorities. For me, it’s not only turning my phone on silent but turning it over and popping in my earbuds to listen to some Pandora.
4) Just Say No – remember that drug prevention club in middle school? Just Say No to Drugs… Okay, well maybe your school wasn’t as cool as mine, but anway you get the point. Say no to things that are not a priority. Keep yourself single-minded when it comes to tackling. Don’t take on too much.
5) Breathe – I have a habit of running around like a crazy woman when I get stressed so I am still working on this one. Every once in awhile remind yourself to breathe. The world will still be here tomorrow even if you do not get everything done on your list. It’s okay, be forgiving to yourself.
Now, I think this post might be more for me then it is for anyone else. It’s a simple reminder to simplify
your my life so that you I can enjoy more and stress less.